DO-254 Design & Development covers DO254 Requirements, DO254 Design, and DO254 Implementation. Today, there are hundreds of avionics companies throughout the world developing D0254 hardware for commercial and military avionics. Approximately 10-15 DO-254 outsourcing/services companies supply DO-254 engineers, DO-254 DERs and DO-254 certification.
Key issues to consider for procuring outside D0-254 engineers or DO254 outsourcing services:
- Have their engineers/processes been DO-254 audited, e.g. by the DO254 Industry Group?
- Do they have full-time DO-254 and DO-254 DERs (Designated Engineering Representatives) ?
- Can they work either at their own U.S. facilities or your facilties?
- Are they ITAR compliant? (Required for U.S. Military and Secure projects; must be U.S. citizens working in the US for a US-owned firm)
- Do they guarantee their work?
- Do their DO-254 engineers have 10+ years experience on average?
- Are they willing to work on a fixed-price basis, if you clearly define the scope?
- Can they provide DO-254 systems engineering, DO-254 hardware design/code, DO-254 testing, DO-254 QA, and DO-254 Certification?
- Can they provide DO-254 templates, DO-254 plans, and DO-254 checklists?